What is the PC Emergency Alert System?
PC Emergency Alert is the emergency notification system that will help ensure rapid and reliable mass communication to students, faculty, and staff at Phoenix College. The PC Alert system is designed to communicate with cell phones (text and voice messages), landlines, and e-mail systems, should a crisis or emergency situation occur at any of PC's locations.
Students should update their contact information in the Maricopa Online Student Center at My.maricopa.edu in order to receive a PC Alert notification in the event of an emergency.
How does the PC Alert notification system work?
During an urgent situation, the PC Alert system will begin cycling through the points of contact listed in your My.maricopa.edu account to deliver the alert. The order of contact is as follows:
- Text message (SMS) to mobile device
- Call to cell phone
- Call to home phone number
- Call to emergency contact number
- E-mail to listed email address
When you receive the message, it is very important that you confirm receipt when prompted. If no confirmation is received, PC Alert will continue cycling through your points of contact.
When will I receive an alert message?
With the exception of periodic tests, you will receive a message ONLY when a situation arises that disrupts normal college operations and that may place students, faculty, staff, or visitors at risk. A college lock-down, evacuation, or necessary college closure are a few examples of emergency notification messages. The college will send out a OC Alert notification message only after carefully assessing a situation and determining that it is serious enough to warrant universal notification.
Do students need to sign up for this service?
No. All currently enrolled students are automatically signed up for the PC Alert service. In order to receive a message in an emergency situation, it is vital for all PC students to update their personal contact information via My.maricopa.edu. Please login with your MEID and password to review and update your contact information - phone numbers (home, cell, and emergency numbers) as well as your email address. The reliability of this system is dependent on the accuracy of contact information to ensure you will receive an alert in the event of an emergency.
Do employees need to sign up for this service?
No. All employees are automatically signed up for the PC Alert service. In order to receive a message in an emergency situation, employees should update HRMS personal contact information. Login with your MEID and password to review and update your contact information - phone numbers (home, cell, and emergency numbers) as well as your email address. The reliability of this system is dependent on the accuracy of contact information to ensure you will receive an alert in the event of an emergency.
What should I do when I receive a PC Alert?
There are three things you should do when you receive a PC Alert notification message:
- Read the message - don't ignore it!
- Alert other people. During classes, professors and other students may have their cell phones turned off. If you're in a classroom, please advise the professor so that he or she may assist you in taking appropriate action. If you're at work, let your co-workers know about the alert. It's very important to help spread word of the emergency notification.
- Follow the instructions given with the message. The instructions will be direct and specific to the particular situation. Be sure to follow them carefully. If the situation requires it, additional messages will be transmitted to update you.